Hey heeey August!
Okay, so July is done and dusted, but that doesn’t mean that your plastic free efforts should stop.
Lets continue to make a freaking awesome difference to our fabulous earth! For anyone who was living under a plastic rock this last month and didn’t look at any health-inspo insta accounts – Plastic Free July is an initiative started right here down under in a bid to encourage people to become more aware of their plastic use for generations to come.
PSA: Plastic does not break down. Ever. It will always be around for years and years to come and sadly, a majority of this toxic filled crap ends up in our oceans. Some freaky stats for you (cause in a scientist, ya know) our ocean has that much plastic floating around to equal 1 kilo, per person, EACH YEAR! that is 8 million metric tons per year…not cool.
And what are our biggest culprits? Plastic bags, plastic straws, plastic bottles and disposable coffee cups and lids. If we don’t make a change…by 2050, there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish! So, I’m sure that’s more than enough of a reason to continue with your Plastic Free July efforts, and if you can’t go completely plastic free, here’s my top tips
- Take reusable bags shopping with you
- Hand your happy barista a reusable coffee cup for your daily grind, or if you really forget, go lid-less!
- Buy your produce fresh, not pre packaged. And when you grap your fresh goods, use a mesh bag or just throw them in the basket loose (trust me, it wont hurt them)
- Don’t be a sucker! go sans straw or BYO
- Make you’re own meals, no pre packed meals means no unnecessary plastic and you get to try out new creations in the kitchen (winner)
Be happy, love your earth!